Skip to main content

Car accident. No information exchanged. Can I still be liable? Was in a minor car accident. Some scratches on both cars

San Bernardino, CA |

At first, I asked if he wanted to exchange information, the guy said no. He went back into his car and discussed it with his friend and went back outside and ask for my personal information. I told him then we should get a police report. He told me never mind and that it was okay and drove off.We did not exchange insurance or personal information, , he didn't even ask for my name or number, and then he drove off.
Question, can he still track me down and blame me for this? I read about people filing for hit and run, it made me afraid that maybe he got my license number and call the police and said i did a hit and run. (had several witnesses around me when it happen and heard him saying it was okay and drove off) Should I take any action right now?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Just because the other guy says "never mind" about reporting the accident to the police does not mean you can't call and report the accident or file your own operators report. In one part of the post you indicated that he "ask for my personal information" and then in another part you indicated "We did not exchange insurance or personal information". So, yes, document everything.

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.


If he got your license plate number and reported it, you can be sure the police will track you down, and then you can just tell your side of the story. I would not worry about this.

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


You should report the small event to your insurer for your own protection. Tell them exactly what you recorded here. That way if any claim is made you will be insured and defended.


If your damages exceed $750 , you are required to report your accident to the DMV and you should also notify your insurer. Drivers frequently change their minds about reporting accidents. Do so and protect yourself. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


If you know and/or can locate the witnesses be sure & obtain their telephone & addresses in case you need them later. I concur with the advise of the other attorneys who responded to your question.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


You can file a 'counter" report at the police station venued around the accident location. However, if you didn't get any information it will be hard to complete one. Nor will you be able to complete an SR-1 form for the DMV without the other party's information. If it is truly minor probably nothing will happen.


Always report every accident, or it will come back to bite you.


As others have stated, you should report it to your own insurance company. If the other driver took a photo or wrote down your license plate, he can track you down. Did you get the information from the witnesses? If so, give that to your insurance company.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer