Skip to main content

Car Accident. Ins. settled vehicle & personal damages and now person is suing me in civil suit. Will insurance still cover?

Jackson, NJ |

Had accident where I was a fault. It was very minor and thought nothing would happen. No tickets were issued, no hospitalization. 2 months after accident she sued my insurance and they settled for vehicular & personal damages. Now she has named me in a personal suit along with my mother who is the owner of the car for an excessive amount. Will insurance still be able to cover this or am I on my own?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to send a copy of the lawsuit to the insurance company and retain a lawyer immediately. The issue is when your insurance company paid them did they obtain a release for you and your mom. The insurance company has a duty to you and your mom assuming its her company that paid to protect your and moms interest

Without further information and reviewing the documents it's impossible to advise you on precisely is happening. An attorney can advise you about your rights and remedies. Its unusual for insurance companies to pay for injuries and then the party is allowed to sue the principals

without a detailed review by a lawyer can all the issues raised in your question be appropriately addressed...nothing in this response should be construed as establishing a lawyer client relationship..the answers herein are for informational purposes and not to be construed as advice


If your insurance company settled for property damage and "personal damages", it should have obtained a release from the other party that would discharge you from further liability and preclude a further recovery in the lawsuit. If they only settled the property damage initially, then the other driver may still be able to seek damages for personal injury.

As noted, you should contact your insurance company immediately and let them know what's going on. They will take the appropriate action to defend you.

Good luck.


it will probably depend on the language within your insurance policy. I agree that you should immediately submit the paperwork to your insurance company. If they cover you, great. If they do not, you should probably seek an insurance defense attorney, such as myself, or any other the other great attorneys on Avvo immediately. Time may be of the essence.

no attorney client relationship has been formed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer