Cancellation of removal not decision from judge, I have to wait for October 2013, How can I renew my license driver?

Kissimmee, FL |

I was in removal proceedings , I submitted form EMIR - 42B , had my biometrics taken and while my case was in process I obtained a work authorization card . At the final court , the judge say you will need to wait until October 2013 to know the decision because the 4000 visas are out . I don't know what to do my driver license expire in May 2013 , How can I renew my license with no document from immigration or from the judge ? any help thank you .

Best Answer

You should be able to renew with the EAD (work authorization card) and Social Security card and as one of my colleagues suggested, proof of FL residence. If your EAD is set to expire, you can renew with a pending Cancellation of Removal application. Even if you had the Individual hearing but have to wait for the final decision, you should be able to renew the EAD if it will expire in the interim. Assuming you had an attorney representing you in removal proceedings, you might want to consult with that attorney as to what you might need, especially since he/she should be most familiar with the specifics of your case.

William M. Cavanaugh Law Office of William M. Cavanaugh www.wmc-law.com (561) 283-2196 This posting does not create an attorney-client relationship and the answer is general in nature. You should contact an experienced Immigration attorney with the specific facts of your case.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Good answer!

You can obtain a document from the court ot evidence oyu are in removal proceedings.

Consult an attorney.

It may be difficult, but depending on the state, you may still renew your driver's license, if you show that your case is pending. Also, consult with your attorney whether you are eligible for work authorization.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. for a free consultation about new Immigration Reform policies. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

See if you can get a document from the court showing your case is still pending.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Your EAD card is 'proof' that you're legally here.

Make an InfoPass appointment if you want more.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

In order to get a DL in the State of Florida you must show that you are in the United States Legally. A valid EAD card and SS Card with government issued photos id should be sufficient. You will also need proof of your residence - lease, utiltity bill..... mail received at your address with your name on it. I suggest you also bring with you the most recent notice of hearing from the court.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Good answer, Kyndra!