Can your employer legally pay you late EVERY pay period?

Tucker, GA |

Say your employer used to pay his employees weekly which was changed to bi-monthly on set dates, which has turned into EVERY pay day for the last 8 months being late. This period of time covers a span from the 15th to the 29th for instance, which makes it time the next pay period is due and so the cycle keeps on.

There are always excuses to attempt justification, however we all know what the real issue is and that's an addiction to shopping. I'm talking high volume, big money shopping addiction.
After the initial round-robin of reasons, it then turns into ignored calls, texts and visits to the office trying for some time frame so we can tell our creditors ONCE AGAIN when they may expect theirs or the bank when we can take care of overdraft fees. Then threatens firing us. Any help?

Best Answer

What do you mean by "late?" You left out that key information. How big is the company? It appears you work for a small business with money problems. Your first option may be to find a new job. That is likely what you would be doing if you threatened or pursued legal action in a small business that could not afford it. For now, presumably you are getting paid and for a business in trouble, that could end. Sometimes the practical answer is more important.

As stated in the details box, the pay day is say the 15th of the month and we don't get paid until the 29th or so. Still within the Georgia legal twice a month but not right either way. It's a small business with under 50 employees but the owner seems to have his hands stirring quite a few pots simultaneously. There's an addiction to auctions and such where it has gotten to be a bit of a pickle. YES, I know the find another job option and that's been accomplished, there have been lies told on former employees regarding theft of company funds nobody has access to and I just think they all need a little justice as they were fired only because they insisted on answers and others due to the need of a scapegoat. Lot's of people are being hurt here including the customer base that is the source of income at the moment.

Scott Benjamin Riddle

Scott Benjamin Riddle

You stated, essentially, the pay period was changed from weekly to bi-monthly, which an employer can do. If that is the new pay period, the checks may not be "late" under the new system (whether or not you like the new schedule). That is what was not clear.

Oh sorry, the pay schedule is the 1st and the 15th. However, since it's been late every period, it goes as long as ten or more days into the 29th from the 15th and the 20th from the 1st some times. Sorry for the confusion I proofread prior to submitting but I guess not all things occur to you even though you try to put yourself in the readers shoes (lol)

On the 1st it's delayed until the 15th at least, sometimes longer. The 15th it's delayed until the end of the month. Always there's some story of an employee stealing that caused it or a customer electronic transfer not posting yet or the bank has placed a hold on the incoming check that was to cover the payroll and it hasn't been released yet. It's all lies and everybody knows it, I just wonder if I'm the only one suffering the wait sometimes since we all work remotely and are never all together in an office environment to notice little things.

An employer in GA is supposed to pay its employees no less frequently than semi-monthly (e.g. twice per month), though in some circumstances monthly paychecks are authorized. I suppose you can complain to the GA Dept of Labor about "late" paychecks, if that is what is occurring, but I doubt it would do anything about it. Your best bet -- start looking for another job.

This post is for marketing and informational purposes only. It is not intended to nor does it create an attorney-client relationship with the reader.

Yea, already one step ahead. I hate to that the laws do not protect and safeguard innocent people as they should. I've been familiar with the justice system in 3 different elements now and they all are set to basically punish the ones that react to a wrongdoing and never justice for the offenders whether it's morally or otherwise, it seems since GA is in the heart of the bible belt some morals would be protected instead of focusing on making laws against any sex position but missionary. Thanks anyway