Skip to main content

Can your adult son who lives with you be named as a defendant to a foreclosure lawsuit when he is not on note or mortgage?

Jacksonville, FL |

When I was served with process to a foreclosure complaint, the process server asked if any other person lived in this property. Of course I told him the truth that, yes, my son lives here too. So he gave me a Tenant #1 summons. A judge recently denied my attorney's motion to quash summons and motion to quash service of process on both of us. Today I received his order in the mail (addressed as xxxx xxxxx, tenant #1) and now my son is being listed as a defendant and is required to answer and respond to discovery. He is not on the note or the mortgage. He is not involved with this foreclosure at all. Now I am worried that I have made him a party to this and it will go against his credit. What can I do (or require my attorney do) to remove him from this lawsuit?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Please understand that a foreclosure is an effort by the lender to remove all interests in the property, whether it be an owner's interest, a spouse's interest, a tenant's interest, or a guest's interest. Therefore, it would not be proper to have your son dismissed from the case.

Your son can respond to the Complaint by stating he is just a guest or just a tenant in the property and that he owes no money whatsoever to the creditor, or he can not answer at all and be in default. Either way, he will not be held financially responsible for the debt.

I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. While Avvo is a wonderful resource, nothing can be a substitute for an in-depth consultation with an attorney in the jurisdiction in which the law is to be applied. This response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.



what i am concerned with is: if there will be any adverse reporting on his credit report. i need to take steps to be sure that this lawsuit will not appear on his credit report.

Amanda Leigh Edwards

Amanda Leigh Edwards


the lender should not report on his credit. He will need to dispute the entry with the credit bureaus and consult an attorney if they are.


The simple answer is yes, they can. This is so that when the property is sold they can have him removed without filing an eviction.

This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult an attorney in person to discuss your case. The Law Offices of Stage & Associates practices state-wide and represents homeowners and community associations. Please visit our website at


In short, yes they can list your son as a defendant. A foreclosure action is an attempt by the lender that has a loan secured by the property to obtain clear and marketable title to the property. They will notify anyone that may have a possible interest in the property including individuals that are know to live there. Your son can either file a motion dismissing him from the action or could allow a defaul to be entered but in any respect he will not owe for the debt associated wtih the home. If you would like more information on this topic or have questions regarding your options when facing a foreclosure please contact me.

Michael Ferrin, Esq.
Anderson & Ferrin Attorneys at Law P.A.
1214 E. Livingston St
Orlando, FL 32803
Phone (407)-412-7041
Fax (407)-802-2283

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer