Skip to main content

Can you travel to Puerto Rico with deffered action

Chicago, IL |

I was approved for deferred action and my husband is Puerto Rican I wanted to know if I can travel to Puerto Rico

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, Puerto Rico is part of the US.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Logically, once you are legally approved to stay in the United States legally as defined by the recent DACA provisions and have a proof of that approved status, you may travel within and to and from all U.S. States, territories and protectorates.
Yet, if the plane you are no diverts to an abroad location that may create an issue.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko


Please read the last line as "you are on". I regret the typo.


Both counsel are correct however I would be concerned about departing the continental U.S. and risking a benefit that provides your ability to remain here in a period of authorized stay. Reducing the risk is always a pragmatic course of action.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer