Skip to main content

Can you sue your sibling for defamation of character? My brother stole money from my mother while she was hospitalized.

Saint Peters, MO |
Attorney answers 4


Remember, truth is an absolute defense, so if you have additional proof then you should not have anything to worry about.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


Anyone can theoretically sue anyone for anything. However, what kind of proof does he have besides hearsay? I don't know any attorney who would take a case like this.


True comments don't qualify as defamation.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


Truth is a defense to defamation. Report the theft to the police if he won't replace her money.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755