Skip to main content

Can you sue the news media & local newspaper for defamation for suggesting & presenting inaccurate info about past arrests?

Corpus Christi, TX |

I was recently suspended from my job as a high school teacher for allegations of inappropriate communication with a student. A week after my suspension the local news media made some inflammatory and false statements about my past. The most recent, completely false, statement made by two news stations was that I had been convicted of a crime which I have not. In addition, the local newspaper ran a story that made a strong inaccurate statement about the nature of my suspension.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Possibly. You need to consult an attorney with specific details for advice.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


You may have a case. I would consult an attorney about this asap


the newspapers publishing a false fact accusing you of a criminal past would constitute defamation. I would consult with an attorney experienced in defamation cases. Be aware that these types of cases often have a short "statute of limitations" (time period in which you are allowed to sue) , typically one year in many States, which starts to run as of the date of the publication. So don't waste time.

David B Pittman

David B Pittman


Great answer


A local defamation lawyer would need to read the statements to evaluate. Use Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer