Skip to main content

Can you sue a parent for psychological and emotional abuse?

Chicago, IL |

My father has been emotionally and psychologically abusive to me for the twenty years that I have been alive. I am in therapy as a result of this abuse and I was wanting to know if there is any legal action that can be taken?

+ Read More

Filed under: Child abuse
Attorney answers 2


Often times there is an emotion component of damages that accompanies severe physical abuse in cases with child abuse. Your situation is too involved for an online answer.

Using the information you have is a good place to begin. Contact a local lawyer in Chicago - many may give you a short consultation - to discuss your specifics. Far too many variables exist in the short post you wrote for any further observation by me. Many attorneys have information posted. Use the Find a Lawyer tab.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot see your documents. You need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you. God bless. Best of luck to you.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter.


Hello. In considering whether to file a lawsuit it is important to determine whether you have measurable damages. In other words, can you recover money? If you file a lawsuit against your dad, you should also consider how a jury or judge might decide your case and what defense your dad will raise. Also, it will be necessary to have credible evidence in the form of a health professional.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer