Skip to main content

Can you subpoena someone you believe is an informant on your case?

Bronx, NY |

When you want to subpoena someone do you have to tell the judge the specific reason you wish to subpoena that person?...
drug case

+ Read More

Filed under: Subpoena
Attorney answers 3


Generally yes.


Speak with your lawyer to develop a strategy.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


When the DA finds out they will move to quash the subpoeana. Unless there is relavence to the charges you will not be allowed to call a CI. For example, often there is a CI in a drug case who makes buys that lead to a search warrant but the DA does not charge the sales to the CI so he or she is not relevent to the charges. A judge would likely quash under that fact pattern.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer