Skip to main content

Can you still apply employment based green card if you work for a US company's HK office?

New York, NY |

I am considering to take this offer from this US based investment firm. I will be based in Hong Kong though, covering Asian investments. Am I still eligible to apply for green card? I really don't want to lose my tie to the US because I may move back here in a couple of years. Thanks so much.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You may be eligible to apply depending on your work experience and level of achievement in the field. Generally, applying for a green card through employment is a lengthy process, and unless you are here legally you would have to be out of the country anyway. Please feel free to contact my firm or an experienced attorney of your choice to discuss.


I agree with my colleague. There may be several ways that you can apply for your green card. Doing it from overseas is not necessarily a problem.



PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer