Skip to main content

Can you sponsor your wife when you are unemployed?

Chicago, IL |

Am a US citizen and recently applied for my wife's green card. My past three year tax returns have far exceeded the poverty guidelines for our household size of 5, exceeding by 2-3 times. But, because I was working overseas, I had to quit to move back with my family and therefore, have been unemployed looking for the right job for the past 8 months. Don't have much assets and I don't have anyone to co-sponsor me. Can I still sponsor her? Would appreciate your response. Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, you can. Work with an immigration lawyer.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Depends what sponsor means. File an I-130 or I-864, yes. overcome income requirements? No.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Yes, it is possible. You may need assistance of a co-sponsor. Consult with an immigration attorney in your area for more information on sponsoring.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.


As my colleagues have stated, it is possible to sponsor your wife even without steady income. Depending on your savings and other assets, it is possible you could qualify based on those. If your wife is working legally in the U.S., then her income can count towards your household as well. Finally, if you do not meet the financial requirements on your own, you can seek a friend or relative to be a "co-sponsor."

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | || 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.