Skip to main content

Can you serve someone while they are in the hospital?

El Cajon, CA |

Law enforcement tried to serve my ex-husband at his mom's house since that's the address the DMV has on file. Mom told law enforcement that he was back in the hospital. I wasn't given any reason of why and where. But if he is found can he get served while he is in there?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, if he can be found, the sheriff or process server can serve your ex-husband in the hospital, so long as it is "personal service" and not "substituted service".


Yes. Follow all the other rules on p[personal service and the location does not matter.


Yes, just be sure it's personal service and not a substitute service.

Unless you have previously retained the services of The Law Offices of James V Sansone, no Attorney-Client relationship exists between you and The Law Offices of James V Sansone or Attorney James Sansone by the mere receipt of this transmission, including any attachments. Furthermore, any communication with The Law Offices of James V Sansone or Attorney James Sansone through this transmission may not be considered confidential. Finally, any statement contained herein does not constitute a guarantee regarding the outcome of your legal matter and the information contained in this email DOES NOT constitute legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer