Can you return a used car bought just 1 or 2 days ago?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA |

My father who is 87 just told me he traded in his car they gave him well below the blue book. The new car (a used one) 2012 Camry with 39,000 miles on it and they gave him loan for $307.00 per month for 84 months. They ripped my father off. His only income is social security my mother is 84 and has never driven a day in her life. I hope my Dad lives to be 94 but I think the dealership ripped my father off. His trade in car blue book for just good condition (his was in excellent condition was worth $3600 they gave him $1500

The general rule is buyer beware. You cannot rescind a contract because you realize later that it was a bad deal. You can return the car if there was a return policy or contract provision that allows as much. Your dad also might have remedies if there was fraud on the part of the dealer, or some reason why he was unable to consent to the deal. You might want to consult with an attorney, but know there is a good chance your dad will be stuck with the deal.

This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the answering attorney. Any information provided should not be taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.

He is 87 he will most likely not be done paying the car off they have no funds to pay once they pass. I think they took advantage of an old man!

Matthew Timothy Bechtel

Matthew Timothy Bechtel

I agree. They probably did take advantage of your father, but again, the general rule is buyer beware. Car dealers (especially used car dealers) do not have a great reputation when it comes to sales tactics, but that does not mean their tactics are illegal. You can try negotiating with the dealer for a better deal. And again, it would not hurt to have an attorney review the contract.

Thank you for your advice although I don't agree...The law is the law....

I would suggest contacting a local area consumer law attorney to fight this matter. You can find one or more in this very forum by going to the opening menu and typing in consumer lawyer and in the city/state, type in Rancho Cucamona, and California. How cognizant is your father at age 87? Best of luck.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

I was able to convince the dealership sell me back my fathers trade in for what they paid for it. I am now trying to resell it so I may give my father the difference.