Skip to main content

Can you retract a statement that was a mistake not a crime and have charges dropped before anyone goes to jail

Atlanta, GA |

Hey, I receive ssi and a while ago a check of mine was deposited into an unknown account so I filed for a back payment and signed to have the case be investigated a year or so later it turns out that money went into an older payee of mine who happens to have a record with fraud and other charges and I know it doesn't look good for her but I really wanted to help her out because she is of course family and used the money to aid me and Family Emergencies I decided to pay the money back and stop the case before it happens but I need to know will that work is our legal system capable of relieving someone who is actually innocent

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Honestly, it seems to me like you are asking whether it is possible to stop the prosecution of a person whom you first looked at as a thief, and now know is a close friend or family member. It isn't clear how the check became deposited in the other person's bank acct.

My recommendation is that both of you go to a criminal defense attorney and try to determine options.

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs.