Skip to main content

Can you refinance a mortgage that was discharged in chapter 7,if we are still making the payments?

Akron, OH |

Can you refinance the same mortgage that had been discharged in chapter 7? We still have been making the payments,I was told we only has to wait 2 yrs after a ch 7 discharge for an fha loan. Will it pose a problem because the loan was discharged and we technically are not legally responsible for it anymore but like i said we still are making are payments.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No, it will not pose a problem. Since you are speaking of a refi, it will be a new bank with a new contract and a new lien on your property.

Hope this helps!

Please check the thumbs up button below if this answer is helpful to you, thanks!

Very truly yours,

Dean D. Paolucci, Attorney at Law

Select Legal, PC

P> 800-825-7010


Disclaimer: This e-mail or other correspondence does NOT create an
attorney client relationship. This e-mail or other correspondence
represents a general overview of law developments and should not
be relied upon without an independent, professional analysis of how
any of these provisions may apply to a specific legal situation. Any
information contained in this communication was not intended or
written to be used, and cannot be used, by the recipient for the purpose
of legal advice.


That is true. Just be sure you consider very carefully whether the refinance is something you really want to do. As it is, if you get into financial trouble in the future, you can simply walk away from the home without worrying about any personal liability. If you decide to refinance, of course you will no longer have that option.


Currently, you are not personally responsible for the mortgage. However, if you do not pay, you lose the property. If you refinance, then you WILL be personally responsible once again. Make sure that the terms are infinitely better before committing to it. Next, you may have a problem getting the payoff from the current mortgage company. If they will not give it to you (some lenders believe that providing this information is attempting to collect making it a violation of the discharge). If you have a problem, send a Qualified Written Request to the mortgage company and ask for the payoff, a pay history and the current owner of the note. You will have everything you need.

Good Luck. You might want to talk to a financial planner before doing this.

[This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer