Can you put a mobile home on private land if it's not being used as a residence?

Coal Valley, IL |

Can Illinois residents use a mobile home as a hunting cabin or something of that sort if it's not a primary residence, or are mobile homes ONLY allowed in trailer parks? I know they can't be used as a residence on owned land, but is it legal to have them on the land in general?

Best Answer

Depends on the local zoning ordinance, if any, which may regulate the siting of mobile homes, or ban them altogether. Typically zoning ordinances, if enacted, affect smaller areas of a state like a township, county or city. You should consult with a land use attorney, builder, or architect in the area where you are thinking of siting the mobile home. You can call the local building inspector as well. The local zoning ordinances are always available at town halls, and often at area public libraries or often now on the website of the municipality. Mobile homes may be regulated within the zoning ordinance, allowable in some use districts but not others, or in a separate ordinance (which would tend to ban them entirely from a township).

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Ms. Goldstein's point is also well taken that the allowability of a mobile structure may depend on its use: if for residential use, one set of regulations or use districts may apply, but if it's a temporary construction office or seasonal hunting cabin, other regulations may apply. Zoning ordinances primarily regulate the use of buildings and dictate which areas of a municipality may have specified uses on a map with related regulations.

Mobile homes are used for all sorts of purposes. Think about the used car lot, the construction office, even a temporary school. Mobile homes are not always used for residences and some are even designed for other purposes. Just make sure the placement of the unit is legally allowed by the owner as well as local ordinance.

Generally there should not be any issue with what you are proposing if it is used only as a temporary placement and not for residential use. If you intend to park a mobile home in a location permanently, then it will not matter if you are not using it for a permanent resident - you will still need to comply with local zoning laws. There may be some state level requirements in Illinois, but where you want to look for a definitive answer will be with the local jurisdiction - e.g. county or city. Contact the planning or development department and they can tell you what is allowed with regard to mobile homes and the subject property.