Skip to main content

Can you marry a us citizen who is 19 years old and apply for your green card if you are 30 years old

Bayonne, NJ |
Attorney answers 5


If the marriage is bona fide and in good faith, yes. If it is to obtain an immigration benefit, no. Speak with and retain an attorney if it is a bona fide marriage. My firm handles such cases.
Nicklaus Misiti
Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
212 537 4407

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


As my colleague stated, if USCIS determines that the marriage is bona fide, then they would approve the petition that the US Citizen files for you. But you should be aware that USCIS will likely take a close look at your relationship, due to the age difference. If there are parents involved who might raise complaints to USCIS, that could complicate things as well.

I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney about this situation, to get an honest assessment of the likelihood of success in this case.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


If the marriage and relationship are legitimate (meaning based on love) you can lawfully marry and petition for a green card. However, the age difference will definitely be an issue, as will the length of the relationship (it cannot be more than 3 years old or you'd be admitting to a crime) and other possible issues. Consult with an immigration lawyer before making an decisions.


As long as the marriage is legitimate you can get married and file the adjustment of status application. However, because of the difference in age you should be ready to show substantial evidence that the marriage is legitimate. Since your fiance is already over 18 the fact that her parents dont agree is not relevant.


I agree with my colleagues, but be aware of the affidavit of support requirements.

Pay special attention to the provisions regarding the income requirements on page 2.


Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer