Skip to main content

Can you make changes to a pro se divorce when before the judge?

Columbus, GA |

My case goes before a judge tomorrow morning. My husband wants to change the amount f child support, the date he starts paying, and who gets which vehicle. He threatened me if I do not make the changes he will take recourse.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You are WAY over your head. Try to get yopur case reset and get a lawyer. I cannot stress how votal this is. I gather you think you have a settlement. No settlement is final unless a judge okays it. And if you did one pro se, it is rather unlikely you even covered things as well as a lawyer could. You really need a lawyer with you.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.



Thank you. I know we should have started with lawyers but neither of us can afford to pay a lawyer.


I agree with Glen. You need a lawyer ASAP. It will be much more difficult, or perhaps even impossible, to sort out problems with your divorce once it becomes final.


You need to go to court tomorrow and tell the judge that you need to hire an attorney and that you do not understand your rights. If you have already signed an agreement, it may or may not be enforceable, but it may be that you would agree to make certain changes if there are also changes that you may wish to make. In any case, you need to review your settlement with an attorney, evaluate whether your husband has a legal basis to repudiate any agreement you may have, and what your options are. Good luck.


Child Support is set by statute and is based on the income of both parties with allowance for deviations. I agree with the rest when they say get a lawyer, at least for an initial consultation . But yes, typically you can agree before the judge signs the order, but not after.