Can you legally lock out a person you own a house with,tenants in common and sue them for mortgage payments.

Queens Village, NY |

Can you legally lock out a person you own a house with, tenants in common and sue them for part of their mortgage payments? They do not want to be in the house anymore or pay their share.What kind of lawyer I need to protect my rights? Thank you.

You cannot lock someone out of their home. If you do you can be sued for treble damages.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

No, you can't evict them (or change the locks which is a self-help eviction without the required court permission), unless you have some kind of lease or written agreement regarding your ownership and rights of possession and responsibilities for payment to third parties like banks, other than the deed and mortgage.

You could ask this person to quitclaim their interest to you and you'd agree to pay their share of the mortgage and other carrying charges and perhaps the bank would agree to take them off the note and mortgage (they might or might not), you'd probably have to reapply for a mortgage on your own income and credit. Or buy them out and pay off or refinance the mortgage.

The other thing you could do would be to do a partition action, where you'd basically have to buy our their share (or the house could be sold on the courthouse steps at an auction, like a foreclosure option).

These are the off the top of my head solutions, I would talk to a real estate attorney about how this situation should be finessed. It's not an easily solved problem, and you can't treat a co-owner like a tenant. Even if the person were just a tenant, a landlord can't evict them or lock them out without a court order of eviction, and then the Sheriff, not you, would accomplish this (the reason is to do things through legal channels and prevent potentially violent situations).

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

So you are saying only the bank can sue him? He can stop paying and mess up my credit. Can I cover his part and sue him?

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

You can cover his part and sue him, but without a written agreement between the two of you, it may be difficult. One thing you might be able to do (at least for a while) is to make payments and sue him in small claims court up to the $3,000 or $5,000 limit, depending on where you live, as you make the payments and pay his share. You will have to argue an implied contract, which could run into problems because of the "statute of frauds" which requires some contracts such as those dealing with real estate or intended to be performed for more than a year (that's why people have written leases for more than month-to-month tenancies).

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

...to be in writing and signed by the party to be bound (completing the last sentence/thought).

Dear Queens Village Owner:

You cannot legally lock anyone out anywhere in New York State. In New York City locking out (that is a self-help eviction ) is a crime.

If the tenants in common do not want to be in the house anymore they can move out, so there is no reason to lock them out.

If you have issues with Tenants in Common and you want to end your business with them, you do so with an action for partition. It is a lawsuit commenced in New York State Supreme Court.

The subject is contained in New York Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law Article 9.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/RPA/9

A real estate attorney with litigation skills in partition actions is among the specialists you could look for.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Thank you...Can I sue him? I do not want my credit messed up. Will the bank sue him if I cover his half in order not to mess up my credit? What kind of lawyer is needed?

Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens

OK. This is an issue that has been brewing for a time. Hire an attorney and have your attorney provide a legal opinion.

You cannot lock someone out of their home without a court order.
Whether they will owe you mortgage payments will depend on your agreement.
If they do not want to be in the house, why do you need to lock them out?
You need a real estate attorney or a civil litigator with real estate experience.

My answer is for general purposes only and is not not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, nor is it advice upon which you should act or rely. But, if you really want me to tell you something upon which you can actually rely: don't eat yellow snow.

Thank you...So really a person can stop paying the mortgage and leave the other person stuck and their are no laws to make the other person pay? That is sad.

Peter J Weinman

Peter J Weinman

Not sure what you mean when you say there are no laws to make the other person pay. If you have an agreement and they have breached that agreement, you most certainly can sue them for your damages. What does your agreement say about your mutual rights and responsibilities by and between each other?

Do not do anythng until you consult with a landlord tenant lawyer. You can not lock them out without a court order.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.