Skip to main content

Can you leave the country while pending felony charges? Out on bond

Manassas, VA |

Going on a trip with a friends who was just arrested on felony charges. They have a passport, can they still leave the country

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Not likely. They need to check the terms of their bond. They can also contact their bonding agent for advice, which I would highly recommend.

The information provided is not intended as legal advice and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If you are in the greater Sacramento area and wish a further consultation please contact me at (916)594-9442.


I don't practice in VA, but in KY unless there are conditions of the bail bond that say otherwise, you can travel where ever you want so long as you reappear at the next scheduled court date. Look at the conditions of bond that was set by the court and review with your attorney to avoid any problems.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


I agree with my colleagues although they don't seem to agree with each other.


Generally, the answer would be no, almost all felony bonds prohibit you from leaving the state, much less the country. That said, you could have his attorney file a motion to permit him to leave the country. Whether the court would actually grant the motion would depend on the seriousness of the felony and the criminal history of the person.

If your friend already has an attorney, he should discuss the possibility of filing the motion with the attorney. If he does not have an attorney yet, he needs to find one anyway, but know that Prince William judges will not permit an attorney to enter a case for the purpose of a bond motion only, so hiring an attorney just for the motion would be impossible. You would have to hire the attorney to handle the case as a whole.

As I am in your area, if your friend does not have an attorney already, I would be glad to talk to him. If he already has an attorney, please know that no other attorney can talk to him about this without that attorney's permission.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer