Skip to main content

Can you keep bills in deceased persons name?

Miami, FL |

Mother passed away a few months ago, my sibling has been approved but has not yet received "green card" to live in US permanently. Sibling living in Florida in deceased mother's house, paying bills (utility, car note, car insurance etc) but not changing the name on any of the accounts. Is there any problem with keeping bills in deceased person's name?

+ Read More

Filed under: Estates Probate
Attorney answers 1


Probate should be filed and a Notice to Creditors needs to go out to notify creditors of the debtor's death. The Personal Representative administering the estate would pay creditors from estate funds provided by Florida Statutes. I strongly encourage consulting with a probate attorney in your local area.