Skip to main content

Can you get paroled out of prison to an IOP program without completing a substance abuse course within the prison system?

Flemingsburg, KY |

My wife is in prison for a class D felony drug posession charge. She is due for a parole hearing next month in February and could possibly get out in April. Will the parole board grant her parole and allow her to complete her drug treatment in an IOP program without completing a substance abuse course in prison. She has been trying to get enrolled in a course in prison for the past four months but the system has been so backed up due to over crowding. Her counselor told her that she is too close to her parole date to start now.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It is possible. It will be up to the parole board. I have heard of parolees competing SAP outside of prison. But, the bottom line is it is up to the parole board. There has been a push to get offenders treatment within the community rather than incarcerating them which may make the parole board more amenable to her receiving treatment while on parole. Good luck!

The answer provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered a substitute for retaining an attorney who can investigate and analyze all the material facts of your situation.


The penitentiary has limited resources especially in the area of substance abuse. An IOP (Intensive Outpatient Program ) is certainly something she should present to the parole board in her plea for parole. Get the details of a program and present them to the parole board at her hearing.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer