Skip to main content

Can you get adopted by a different family if your parents mentally abuse you?

Sydney, FL |

im 14 and for months i've been mentally abused by my parents.. i can't stand it anymore i just wanna be in a family who love me and care for me. im in a home where i cant do ANYTHING. if i even ask if im allowed to go to my friends house my parents start saying all these things like how stupid i am, then they compare me to my older cousin.. then they talk about how im a mistake and all these things. when my mum gets angry at me she shouts at me and calls me a dog and all these insulting words. once my older brother threatened to kill me because when we had an argument i ran in my room and locked the door and then he was banging on it and started saying things like hes gonna get a knife and slit my throat if i dont open the door. i just hate my life and wanna be in a different family. help!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Contact the Florida Child Protective Team Program:


If you are under 18 and want to be adopted by another family member your parents will have to consent and sign off on the adoption.
Attorney Maurine Thomas
703 W. Bay Street
Tampa, FL 33606

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer