Skip to main content

Can you get a real estate license if you have a DUI?

West Covina, CA |

I got the DUI in 2004. I completed all my requirements. In 2008.

+ Read More

Filed under: DUI Real estate
Attorney answers 3


The law (CA Bus & Prof Code) allows the BRE (Bureau of Real Estate) to deny your application based on your prior conviction, even though it is a single offense almost a decade ago. But the law also requires a specific consideration and weighing of all of the facts and circumstances underlying your prior offense, and all of the statutory factors of rehabilitation and mitigation that be identified to support your license application.

You may want to consult an experienced CA professional/occupational licensing attorney to assess in advance the likely outcome of your application. If the prospects for your application are poor, an experienced licensing attorney can advise you as to how to quickly and effectively improve your potential for a successful application.

Christine McCall
License Advocates Law Group LLP

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


Attorney McCall has given an excellent answer. If you have any additional questions I suggest you give her a call. Good luck.

This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.


Yes...I have had success in the issuance of professional licenses not only with one DUI but two. You need to repond to the DRE with valid reasons why the DUI will not affect your fiduciary obligations as a licensee. Question: Are your 2008 requirements for licensure still valid?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer