Can you get a liquor license with a DUI offense

Puryear, TN |

A person I know just leased a building to serve alcohol by the drink and they both have a recent DUI on their record, Their first for the both of them. Can they still apply for a liquor license in TN?

Liquor licenses are usually under the control of the Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) type state agency.Please check on the internet at Tennessee.gov for the published state regulations on obtaining a liquor license.I ,however would believe that any criminal conviction on the application would not help them,and I know that all applications to any state agency for any type of license will have a background investigation as a part of the approval process.

Victor Carmody

Liquor license are controlled by the State of TN, however a criminal back ground check will be done and and criminal violation can keep you from getting your license. A DUI in particular is a flag. While it may not prohibit you from getting the license there will be added steps.

Start with this link:

http://www.tennessee.gov/abc/llicensing%20-%20liquor%20by%20the%20drink.shtml

It may also depend on whether the DUIs were misd or felonys and whether they were convictions.

john Hunsucker
www.okdui.com