Skip to main content

Can you file for divorce from another state?

Cleveland, OH |

I want to pick up and leave one day then head to another state. Can I get an attorney in another state to handle the divorce without me coming back?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Usually you would get a local attorney to handle a divorce in Ohio. But if you are the plaintiff, that is, you file the complaint, you will have to appear at least once. You will have to attend the final hearing to give testimony to support your complaint. If you are the defendant, you can accept service or waive service and then not appear but if you do not sign a separation agreement, you give up any control you might have over the outcome.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer