Skip to main content

Can you file a motion for title to a vehicle that was stolen and resold and had its title transferred to the buyer's name?

Narberth, PA |

If a car was first stolen and then sold to a buyer and then, the original owner, through the help of the police, found the car and the police had the car impounded but the buyer refuses to transfer the title to the original owner, can the original owner sues the buyer and at the same time, in the same suit, file a motion for title to vehicle?

+ Read More

Filed under: Vehicle title
Attorney answers 3


The legal action that may help accomplish the transfer is called a Writ of Replevin which alleges that the plaintiff has a legal right to the vehicle against a defendant who is wrongfully withholding it.You should consult an attorney locally who has some experience in these types of cases for further details.

This answer does not create an attorney/client relationship and is for informational purposes only.For further information please schedule a consultation with an attorney of your choice in your area or at my offices at the location on my Avvo profile


Yes, you can, and my colleague has correctly identified the kind of action you'd file.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


Just let me add that, regardless of the value of the vehicle, this action must be filed in the Court of Common Pleas, presumably Montgomery County if you are in Narberth. Please feel free to contact me directly if you want to discuss how to proceed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer