Skip to main content

Can you file a class action law suit against the child support agency for discrepencies in support and custody time of a child?

Delta, CO |

Meaning if it can proven by many people that judgments and caculations were made wrong in figuring child support with the allowed time given to visit with child not in custody. And that income was high enough to match the order of the judge.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


When deciding if you should sue someone there are two essential requirements. First, did the person who you think violated your rights have a duty to refrain from the activity that you think would form the basis of a suit or did they have a legal duty to do something and they did not do it. It is very difficult to determine the answer to that question based on the facts you list because it will depend on State law and possibly administrative law in your State and under Federal Law.

The second essential is where there compensable damages? Damages for which a Court can award you monetary awards or injunctive relief (order the other person to do something or stop doing something). If you have both of these elements you may sue.

However, lawsuits take a high degree of expertise and cost money. Many clients have come to me through the years and stated that the money did not matter to them, just the principal of the issue! When I tell them how much I and other lawyers charge by the hour it becomes obvious to them that the value of the lawsuit damages is very important.

You can seek out your lawyer referral service to seek counsel. There are agencies of the State and Federal Government you may want to contact. Talk to a lawyer before you decide to sue someone for expert legal advice!

REQUEST: Please give this answer a "thumbs up"(below) if you find it valuable.

Good Luck!

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author only and the fact that he has worked as an Assistant District Attorney; State Supreme Court Clerk; Special Assistant United States Attorney (Hawaii); Assistant Cornell University Counsel or Judge Advocate, United States Marine Corps should not be relied upon to assume that these statements reflect the policy of these organizations.


I agree with my colleague. I realize that this is not the answer that you want, but based on the minimal facts provided, it is beyond speculation whether you would be able to state a legal claim upon which relief can be granted.

Accordingly, it is even more speculative whether such a claim could be brought as a class action. To successfully bring a class action lawsuit, the claims must satisfy Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 23(a)'s requirements of numerosity, commonality, typicality and adequacy. Additionally, the claims must satisfy one of the Rule 23(b) criteria -- generally that a class action would be a superior method of bringing the claims.

If this answer helpful, please give me a thumbs up review below.

Disclaimer: My answer provides information about the law based on the limited information provided in the questions asked and is not intended to provide legal advice or opinions, and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. The law differs in each jurisdiction and may be interpreted or applied differently depending on the jurisdiction or situation. Accordingly, I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss the details of your problem so you can get legal advice tailored to your particular circumstances.



I would like to say that if the fathers were to have there children born at home and then put a superior claim on them with the county and the state they become there property and the county can not touch you for support or tell you to send you kid to any public school, so what iam saying is have your kid and put a claim on him or her and all you LAWYERS who make billions of the birth of or kids and the doctors that work for the county and office of vital statistics that steal or kids at birth by putting a superiour claim on or kids.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer