Skip to main content

Can you do anythign about cyber bullying? thats being done on

Porter, TX |
Attorney answers 3


It is only a crime if it rises to the level of physical threats or some other high level of harassment where the person is feeling physically threatened. If you know who is doing the bullying, you can ask a lawyer to write a cease and desist letter.

I am licensed in Pennsylvania. Members of my firm are licensed in various states, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. We handle cases involving personal injury (car accidents slip and falls, etc.,) medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, workers' compensation, social security disability and legal malpractice. Nothing I write on Avvo is legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in anything I write on Avvo without retaining your own lawyer in your state. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance.


You have given us nothing to analyze. CyberBullying has come to mean "anything on the internet that makes me unhappy." Without paramaters, all we can tell you is to ask the host to take it down. Actually, FB is almost too responsive about that and they probably will if you ask.

Best to you and I'm sorry this is happening.


Cyber Bulling is a relatively new thing and the law is slow the adapt to changes in our world and technology. Whether it is a crime or not is determined by the same laws and tests as for normal bullying. There has to be a reasonable, objective belief that you are in imminent danger for your safety, life, or risk of bodily harm. This is a basic test. Most likely there is not a crime (absent more information on your case) here. I would contact Facebook and have them look into it.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer