Skip to main content

Can you combine the spouse's income to the joint sponsor's income ? or should we get two joint sponsors ?

Lincoln, NE |

My husband is disable and has some health issues, he makes very little money selling stuff online, he wants to file for me to get green card , he is a USC , we have been desperately looking for a joint sponsor but couldn't find someone who meets the criteria , i have two friends who make some money ,but to get above the poverty guideline we have to combine either both the joint sponsors' incomes, or my husband with one of them . Is that possible ? if no how to solve this without a joint sponsor? ,we rent an apartment and have an old car .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you and your husband have been living in the same household for more than 6 months together, then your income can be taken into account as well.

If you'll still need a joint sponsor, his or her income can be added to your husband s income to qualify. You must, however only use one joint sponsor. Two cannot be used.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



We have been living together for more than 6 months but we just got married , I am still working without a work permit, does that count ? How to prove that we were staying together?


If your husband does not make enough to be above the 125% poverty guidelines requirement, you can look for a friend who is willing to be a joint sponsor. If the joint sponsor's income together with your husband's is over the 125% mark, then you are good to go. USCIS's website has some good information about joint sponsors:

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.


Your income can only be considered if your employment is authorized.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


If you have been together for over 6 months then you can count your husband's income. You can also get a joint sponsor, but only one. We are happy to offer you a free initial consultation to talk about the case. Give us a call at 402-455-1711 to set up a time to talk. We have been in business for almost 25 years and fight hard for the people we represent.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer