Skip to main content

Can you change/amend/correct your name in your DD Form 214?

Whittier, CA |

I am retired military personnel. Recently, I printed a copy of my DD 214 from eBenefits website and compare it to the copy I got two years ago which is a poorly printed copy. My middle name starts with letter "E" but was horrified to learn that the official DD Form I signed has it started with letter "B", The difference between "E" and "B" is almost unrecognizable due to the poor quality of printing that I honestly thought everything is correct before signing it. Besides, the name blocks are gray shaded that you need a good printer with good ink toner to print documents legibly. Also, there is another award that I need to declare that was not on the official DD Form 214 which I believed can be corrected.

+ Read More

Filed under: Government law
Attorney answers 3


In order to have your DD214 corrected you have to file a DD149 with the Army Review Boards Agency in Washington D.C. My office handles these types of matters on a regular basis. Feel free to give me a call. The initial consult is free. Good luck.


You can correct using a form available online (DD149). Government will issue a DD-215 (correction to DD 214) with the correct info on it. Some folks can do it themselves. Some hire an attorney to cover all the bases for them. You'll likely need to document your award--you can't simply 'declare' that you earned it.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.


Yes.;; 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer