Skip to main content

Can you buy community service hours?

Pensacola, FL |
Attorney answers 4


It depends on the Judge. Most judges allow you to convert community service hours to a monetary penalty. Thisnis done through the court, not paid to the non profit. However, there are some judges that don't allow it because they feel it is not fair for those with $$ to buy their way out while those less fortunate have to do the hours. You should talk with your original attirney and/or your probation officer about this issue. Good luck.

Karen J Tufte
Board Certified Criminal Trial Attorney

Jonathan Burton Blecher

Jonathan Burton Blecher


Good advice.


The judge could potentially allow although they are under no obligation to do so. Talk to an attorney that regularly practices in front of the judge and they can tell you if it is possible.



Judges I think all allow community service from churches and there is this web site I went to that matches people with churches accepting payment for hours. The url is Hope this helps


Just like the other attorneys said, it depends on the judge. Speak to your probation officer about it and then an attorney in Pensacola if need be.

Legal disclaimer: The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices.


Here is the exact language from the statute about paying for community service rather than performing it:

"For the first conviction, the court shall place the defendant on probation for a period not to exceed 1 year and, as a condition of such probation, shall order the defendant to participate in public service or a community work project for a minimum of 50 hours. The court may order a defendant to pay a fine of $10 for each hour of public service or community work otherwise required only if the court finds that the residence or location of the defendant at the time public service or community work is required or the defendant’s employment obligations would create an undue hardship for the defendant. However, the total period of probation and incarceration may not exceed 1 year. The court must also, as a condition of probation, order the impoundment or immobilization of the vehicle that was operated by or in the actual control of the defendant or any one vehicle registered in the defendant’s name at the time of impoundment or immobilization, for a period of 10 days or for the unexpired term of any lease or rental agreement that expires within 10 days. The impoundment or immobilization must not occur concurrently with the incarceration of the defendant. The impoundment or immobilization order may be dismissed in accordance with paragraph (e), paragraph (f), paragraph (g), or paragraph (h)."

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer