Skip to main content

Can you be required to pay a civil suit after the criminal portion is expunged?

Houston, TX |
Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

Yes, you certainly can, assuming the civil statute of limitations hasn't run yet. If you haven't actually gotten the expunction yet, you might want to first carefully consider whether the records that you are asking to be expunged would hurt you or help you in the civil case. Having no official records to rely on can sometimes actually make it harder to defend a civil case, so I'd strongly suggest that you retain an attorney who can advise you as to the wisdom of doing that right now.


The burden of proof on a civil case is lower than on a criminal case. You can be sued even if a criminal case is never filed. An expunction has nothing to do with whether or not a civil suit can be filed.

Cynthia Henley



If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and best answer. Please understand that all of my answers are for informational purposes only, are not legal advise, and do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am not your attorney and you are not my client unless we enter into a signed contract. My only legal advise to you is that you should immediately consult with and hire a lawyer and that you should not represent yourself. If you want to more information about personal injury, visit or if you want more information about criminal defense, visit Good luck!


The expunction doesn't have anything to do with the civil case, so, yes.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


Yes. I would advise to resolve the civil case immediately to avoid or remove the likely abstract of judgment under your name.

Law Office of David D. White, PLLC
1205 Rio Grande St.
Austin, TX 78701
(512) 369-3737

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer