Skip to main content

Can you be made to donate overtime pay back to a company even if you are an exempt employee who usually gets paid overtime?

Loganville, GA |

My husband is an exempt employee but has always received pay for overtime hours. On Monday his company said that they must donate their overtime in order to make up for admin hours when business was slow and they had no project for him to bill his time to. His original employment letter states that he is exempt but that there are projects that he can receive overtime pay for. Last week he was paid overtime and this week, on the same project, he cannot. Can they do this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


In the majority of states it is illegal for an employer to require an employee to kick wages back to the employer. You should either contact an employment attorney in your are (you can find one here on AVVO) or you should contact your state labor department.
Best of luck!

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.