Skip to main content

Can you be charged for a public defender after being found indigent

Lafayette, IN |

I was found indigent by the court. I was given pauper counsel and when I was sentenced I was charged 750$ for pauper counsel

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Based on your income, the Court has the authority to partially reimburse the county for the costs of your public defender.

Answers provided here are for information purposes only and not intended to replace speaking with an attorney. Your legal issues should be addressed directly with an attorney and the answer provided herein does not establish any attorney client relationship.


Yes, the court can require you to pay a portion of the legal services if it determines you can afford to do so.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer