Skip to main content

Can you appeal a judge's ruling on a Child Custody Case?

Phoenix, AZ |

I recently had a custody hearing in which the mother lied under oath about several matters. Her lies pursued the judge to rule in her favor. After the ruling, the mother admits to me and judge in writing that she did lie at the hearing. The judge has refused to re open the case to take another look at the actual facts and base her decision on the truth. She does not care to hear the facts. Her ruling was persuaded and based on lies. Is there anything I can do ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I know this can be upsetting, but from what you posted it is not anything close to clear that the judge based her ruling at all on the things the mother lied about. And, because the best interests of the child is the standard that is applied, the judge could make the decision to make a custody ruling even if the mother never said a single word at the hearing.

Because it will not sit well with you until you hear more, I am sure, I observe that you might have a local appellate attorney consult with you to see if you get the same kind of response once that attorney is hired by you and he or she reviews the record that would make up the record on appeal. And....good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer