Skip to main content

Can we sue our local D C F for not doing an investigation properly

Jacksonville, FL |

There was a case of emotional abuse against the stepmother towards my son and she was never investigated and the report was done in haste and un true statements were made in it by the investorgator . And it was closed and we were never notified about it.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


39.011 Immunity from liability.--
(1) In no case shall employees or agents of the department or a social service agency acting in good faith be
liable for damages as a result of failing to provide services agreed to under the case plan unless the failure to
provide such services occurs as a result of bad faith or malicious purpose or occurs in a manner exhibiting
wanton and willful disregard of human rights, safety, or property.
(2) The inability or failure of the department or of a social service agency or the employees or agents of the
social service agency to provide the services agreed to under the case plan shall not render the state or the
social service agency liable for damages unless such failure to provide services occurs in a manner
exhibiting wanton or willful disregard of human rights, safety, or property.
(3) A member or agent of a citizen review panel acting in good faith is not liable for damages as a result of
any review or recommendation with regard to a dependency matter unless such member or agent exhibits
wanton and willful disregard of human rights or safety, or property.


You need to talk to a Florida attorney to make sure. However, in many states you cannot sue state officials unless their conduct was worse than being simply negligent.

It sounds like you are in a difficult post-divorce situation with your ex-spouse and his new wife. You may also want to talk to a family law attorney about whether something can be done along the lines of modifying the divorce decree.

However, I would also suggest giving a lot of thought and effort to addressing the problem by trying to develop a better relationship with your ex-husband and his new wife.

Good luck.


In the absence of malicious intent there likely isn't anything you can do.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


You can sue DCF for negligence but I think it needs to be a case with significant damages to justify a claim. Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer: Keith Ligori is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal Courts of Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and time lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Ligori strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in order to ensure proper advice is received. If you are interested with talking to Keith Ligori and asking him more detail questions about your crash or situation feel free to call him any time. We forward our office phones to Mr. Ligori's cell phone at nights and weekends so his clients or potential clients can contact him about your case. To learn more about Attorney Keith Ligori, please call our firm toll free at 888.254.7119 or visit


This is not a medical malpractice issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer