Skip to main content

Can we petition my husband's parents to come to the US? When is the best time for my husband to file for naturalization?

Berkeley, CA |

My husband is a green card holder and has been a permanent resident for a year already. I am a US Citizen. I want to know if it's faster to file the petition before he gets his naturalization, some tell me this is the best route to go. Also, I know that we can file for naturalization when it is his 3rd anniversary as a permanent resident, but can we send forms and documents before then,to make the process faster?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


NO. He cannot sponsor his parents until he becomes a naturalized citizen. He can file for his application 3 months prior to the 3rd year anniversary of the marriage. You both should hire competent immigration counsel like my self or other colleagues, good luck.


Your husband must first be a US citizen in order to petition his parents.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleagues:

1. He can't petition for them now
2. He can file for naturalization 90 days before he's had his LPR status for 3 years.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer