Skip to main content

Can unwed father-to-be petition for relocation of the pregnant mother after she's moved out of state?

Chandler, AZ |

Mother-to-be moved 3,000+ miles, back to her home state, away from putative father. Father-to-be has a stable full-time job with benefits, owns his home, is financially responsible, emotionally available, and wishes very much to be involved with the pregnancy and raising of the child. Mother is unemployed by choice, emotionally disruptive, uninsured, has no vehicle, has suffered from a degradation of living standards since the move, and has been associating with her historically abusive ex-boyfriends. In addition, the mother-to-be has supportive family in the same state as the putative father.

Can the putative father motion to have the mother move back to the state in which the child was conceived? Or is he forced to wait and file in the state where the child is born?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


AZ courts have no jurisdiction until the child is born and if the child is born 3000 miles away, THAT state will be where you have to file for custody and parenting time.

Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very limited amount of information and are given without a conventional consultation. Information posted here should be valued accordingly. We offer free initial consultations that require completion of a questionnaire detailing your situation and a personal one-on-one attorney interview to provide qualified legal advice. The answers posted here might be completely different with more information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer