Skip to main content

Can unemployment take my federal tax return? for state of california

Garden Grove, CA |
Attorney answers 3


What do you mean by "unemployment"?

Was there an overpayment and they have asked for money back?

No facts. Question is not clear.

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.


Please more fully state your facts so that we can answer your question.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.


Intentional or not, if you were paid unemployment benefits you did not qualify for, the money must be paid back.

Currently, EDD is not participating in the Federal Offset Program. Therefore, EDD can only get to your federal income tax refund if you deposit it into your bank account.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.