Skip to main content

Can u get charged with public intoxication in Arkansas without a Breathalyzer text ?

Little Rock, AR |
Attorney answers 3


While I'm not licensed in your state I think I can answer this one for you. YES, just as you can be arrested and convicted in a trial of driving under the influence of alcohol without a breath or blood test. Most people, and all police officers, can recognize the outward signs of intoxication in the human being. So if the officer also has evidence that alcohol is the intoxicating agent like the odor of an alcoholic beverage on your breath, you can be found guilty.


Yes you can get charged with public intoxication in Arkansas without a Breathalyzer test.

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.


There isn't anything in the statute defining the offense of "Public Intoxication" that references a blood alcohol content ("BAC"), and so there would be no need to use a breathalyzer to show what the BAC was.

The statute defines the offense as when someone is in a public place "manifestly under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance" such that they are likely to endanger themselves, others or property, or that they "unreasonably annoy" a person in their vicinity.

This response is for information purposes only, it does not create any attorney-client relationship. Responses to questions posted on this Forum are of a general nature only. Because it is not possible to have all of the facts of your issue addressed in this forum, you should consult with an attorney to review the unique circumstances specific to your situation.