Skip to main content

Can two parties who were wronged by the same person, on separate occasions, sue them in small claims together?

Anaheim, CA |

An ex slashed a boyfriend's tires, though they couldn't prove it. Months later, that same person lights my car on fire, and my friend - after realizing who it was - remembers they also made a threat to slash someones tires, though they initially brushed it off as "just talk." When they contacted the person and asked if their boyfriend's tires were ever slashed around the time the threat was made, they confirmed that they were, and that they had suspected the ex though they couldn't prove it.

Though they're two different incidents, since it involves the same person, could we file a case together or would it be better if one party just serves as witnesses in the other's trial?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


better if one party just serves as witnesses in the other's trial


Not "better" but required to have two different lawsuits.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


You each should file your own case and act as each other's witness. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


Two cases.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


I agree with my colleagues-two cases.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.