Skip to main content

Can tn judge take away my daughter who lives in ky

Franklin, KY |

i have a 16 year old daughter whose dad passed away some time ago and i was locked up so the great granparents in tn where given custody well about a year ago custody was granted back to me i live in ky can the judge make her come back to tn and can i sign over custody to non family member if nesecary

+ Read More

Filed under: Child custody
Attorney answers 2


If you have a valid custody order from KY, then TN cannot overrule it. You cannot simply "sign over" custody, you need a court order to make such a change. I suggest you consult with a local attorney for specific advice. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.



tn is who gave my custody and they knew I live in ky


Atty. Brown offers sound advice. If Kentucky has jurisdiction over your daughter, the Kentucky order will stand. Any change of custody should be taken care of through the courts and not handled "informally." Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer