Skip to main content

Can this lady still hassle money out of me from an accident that happened a month and a half ago?

Weehawken, NJ |

About a month and a half ago, I was coming out of a parking spot and this lady was driving up the ramp and we collided. We did not file a police report and exchanged no information other than our phone numbers. My car was fine and that is why I decided not to do anything. she recently texted me saying that she will be telling me how much I have to pay her. Do I have to pay her? Can she even do anything about it now that a month and more has passed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


She can always sue you. However, it will be her word against yours. How would you know any current damage on the vehicle was not sustained after you had collided with her? Consult a lawyer. Don't post any further admissions on here.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:


She can only file MV charges against you for 30 days. She can sue you for 2 years. I do not know who was at fault but it sounds like that is an issue. I would advise your insurance company of a potential claim since they may decline coverage if you do not advise them within the time established in your policy. You should speak to a civil law attorney not a criminal law attorney on this.


For negligence claims, she has two years from the date of the incident to file a complaint against you. For motor vehicle violations, she has 30 days to file. Please consult with an attorney.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing from this comment should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information does not create and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship or a prospective attorney relationship.