Skip to main content

Can this be used against Mother in Custody battle

New York, NY |

I’m gearing up for a Custody battle with my Son’s Mother. Will the Judge take into account some of her past negative behavior? For Instance, the fact that she used to be a Stripper? And that she has a criminal record preventing her from getting a good job? Not sure of the Exact Charge but it was due to her involved with selling drugs.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


IF she has been involved in illegal activities, that can certainly be brought up in a custody battle. The Family Court will normally run a probation report to view all parties' arrest records. Being a stripper is not so much a taboo thing in today's day and age - unless, of course, she was also performing "extras". Please consult an attorney as a custody battle is a complex situation and without legal counsel, terribly difficult to win.

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".


Both things can & should be brought up, but how much weight they'll play depends in part on whether you knew of her conduct & acquiesced in them. That said, I highly encourage you to schedule a follow-up consultation with a NYC Child Custody lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.


Yes to both.


You certainly can raise both issues, but keep in mind that if you married her and had a child with her, presumably after she stopped this behavior, and you knew about it, and there is no active danger at this point, you might not get that far.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer