Skip to main content

Can they put a lien against my house?

Alameda, CA |

I bought a house which has some defects. I have a sales contract with the seller (now is the former owner) that they would clear all the defects for me. The work was performed after close of escrow. Now the former owner refused to pay and the constructor wants to place a lien against my property. I didn't sign any contracts or paperwork with the constructor and my sales contract clearly stated that the former owner is responsible for the payment. Can the constructor place a lien against my house in this case?

This constructor was hired by the former owner. And the former is the one who signed the paperwork with the constructor, not me. But now the constructor insists that the work was performed on my property thus they go after me,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

If the work was done by a licensed contractor, he can place a mechanic's lien on your property. You may have to sue the seller for breach of contract. The only way to remove the lien is to pay the contractor. You need to consult with an attorney to review the sales contract, mechanic's lien and possible lawsuit.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.



thank you


Yes, they can place a mechanic's lien against your house. Foreclosing on the lien is an entirely different and difficult task.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.


Maybe yes, maybe no. There are very strict time limits in regard to when the contractor has to give appropriate notices concerning the mechanics lien. You should immediately sue the former property owner for the construction costs and get a Judgment against him. In regard to the mechanics lien an attorney is going to have to review what notices were given and received and the timing related to said notices.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer