Skip to main content

Can the US citizen go to K1 Visa Fiancee interview along with Fiancee in their country?

Austin, TX |

I am a US Citizen and have approved 129f Petition. Can i fly to my Fiancee's country and accompany him during the K1 visa interview? If yes, How?

Also - how much time does it take USCIS to send the information over to the local consulate?

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration US visas
Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

Email the specific consulate where he will have his interview and ask. You should wait for the approval of the I-129f and transfer of the case first because otherwise the consulate will not know what case you are referencing.


Generally, no, but each consulate has its own rules. USCIS first sends the information to the National Visa Center, which in turn forwards it to the consulates. You will get a notice of forms to be completed and filed before the interview is scheduled, and then you will get the interview notice. It can take 30 - 120 days, in my experience.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


That would depend on the Consulate, but generally, a US petitioner can accompany the beneficiary.

Niren & Associates
(toll free) 1-866-929-0991
(local) 416-410-7484
Offices in Toronto and Buffalo

Legal disclaimer: For specific advice on your case, Mr. Minawi can be reached at 1-866-929-0991 ext. 206 or by answer does not establish an attorney client relationship.


Once the petition is approved, it does not take long for the file to be transferred - but really depends on the country. As far as attending the interview - you could fly and have your fiancee let the consular officer know that you are there outside and waiting, but most likely they will not allow you in the interview room/window. Some countries really like it when petitioners are available and fly in. Most don't care for it as you are not allowed inside.

Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.


It does take some time though for the file to be trasfered. You have to follow up

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.