Can the TRICARE back date the cancellation of a medical insurance if the Army neglect to send me the change of my status?

Mountain View, CA |

I've been enlisted in the Army Reserve for 4 years. In my contract, my IRR is until 2014 and ETS is until 2016. In June, I got commissioned to be a 2LT and waiting for an order to go to OBC. In July, I received a letter from TRICARE saying that my health insurance was terminated two days after my commissioning date. I checked with my unit but the HR said that they couldn't see my profile because the Army put me to IRR status. I haven't received any order saying that my status would change. I've tried to contact the HRC but the lady over the phone told me that she had no idea about my case. And nobody can answer my question. Unfortunately I went to the hospital a day after TRICARE terminated my insurance. And now I got to pay a very big amount because of no insurance.

Not sure I followed your post its a little short on clear details-

Sounds to me like you were commissioned, but you're not on active duty and likely wouldn't be until you were under orders for that OBC--you wouldn't be insured by TRICARE if you were not on active duty.

As a result, the "big bill" is not a government responsibility.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I do five my 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

This is incorrect. Tricare Reserve Select covers reservists. Also, Tricare Prime covers reservists during training, such as OBC. Take all of your paperwork (contracts, orders, etc) your local military treatment facility and talk to the tricare benefits office - they'll help you understand what's going on.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Good advice to go to the MTF TriCare benefits office. I agree that TriCare prime covers reservists during OBC--recheck my post.

you wouldn't be insured by TRICARE if you were not on active duty. Talk to them about a grace period in may be 30 days. also inquire about notice. You can not sue on this issue like you could an insurance co., but they do have rules they need to follow.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.