Skip to main content

Can the state file for child support and we are still married and live together and on the same public assistance case?

Los Angeles, CA |

me and my babys father filed for public assistace and the county is suing me for child suport even though i am still in the home and i am together with the mother we are both on the same public assistance case.
If the state can file a suit against him, what are we supposed to do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


In this situation there would be no need for a child support order since both parents live in the home and are married. It's not abnormal to have a couple apply for assistance, so make sure all your paperwork is filled out correctly with all the parties living in the home listed and since there is a misunderstanding with the County, make sure to clear them up immediately. Call the case worker and show them the application with both of you on it. You cannot have a child support case without 1) a paternity action or 2) a divorce/separation already filed. So, you'd explain that you are married and living together, thus no need for a child support case to be opened.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established..

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer